Situated on the old medieval salt way route, this isolated Inn has a history that can be traced back to the Elizabethan period.  Originally a farmhouse and alehouse, supplying shelter and refreshment for travelers crossing the hostile moors of the Pennines.

Originally known as Border Hill House owned by the Gothard family, the Inn became known as the Dog and Partridge on receipt of its first license in 1740.

Since that time it has been under the ownership of many local land owning families such as the Pilkingtons of Chevet Hall who still own the surrounding grouse moors today.